While each claim or request is highly individualized, please try to include as much of the following information as possible:
- Site names, catalog numbers, accession numbers, and Notice information (if referring to a specific Notice published in the Federal Register) for identification purposes.
- For Sacred Objects, if allowable, please provide information about the importance of the items to continuing or renewed traditional ceremonial/religious practices.
- For Objects of Cultural Patrimony, if allowable, please provide information about the central importance of the items to your Nation as a whole.
- For Unassociated Funerary Objects, please try to specify why the item is believed to have been removed from a burial site specifically.
- If requesting disposition of Human Remains and Associated Funerary Objects under §10.11, please specify whether the request arises from a tribal or aboriginal land claim. If requesting under an aboriginal land claim, please indicate the basis of the claim as an Indian Claims Commission judgment, a United States Court of Claims judgment, an Act of Congress, an Executive Order, or a specific treaty.
If this is your first time working with the Repatriation Department at the Field Museum, please include a Letter of Authority from your Nation's Governing Body authorizing you as a NAGPRA Designee.
- Culturally Unidentified Individuals and Associated Funerary Objects Disposition Request Letter Template
- Affiliated Human Remains and Associated Funerary Objects Repatriation Request Letter Template
- Unassociated Funerary Objects Repatriation Request Letter Template
- Sacred Object Repatriation Request Letter Template
- Objects of Cultural Patrimony Repatriation Request Letter Template